Friday 8 April 2022

The Gathering of Awesomeness

The Young Hearts Run Free podcast lads weren’t wrong when they billed the Anglo-Celtic Plate and open Sri Chimnoy 100km and 50km being held on the Inches, Perth as The Gathering of Awesomeness.

Although it’s been a fair while since I’ve run at Perth, I’m no stranger to the Inches. I’ve previously run two 24 hour races in 2008 and 2009, I did the 100km in 2016 and the 50km in 2019, I was looking forward to doing another 21 laps of the loop that flows round naturally and beautifully measured at around a mile and a half.


Pauline needed a bit persuading to come along, she’s a bit reluctant doing “unnecessary” stuff after her brain haemorrhage last year and the pandemic doesn’t encourage her to get out and about much, so I was glad when she said she’d come, especially as she has had six Scottish vests in the Anglo-Celtic Plate, the first being in 1999.  


With the 50km starting at 10.00am, we arrived just before 9.00am, the 100km was well underway, starting at 7.00am.  I laughed at Pauline’s observation as we watched runners go by. “Aren’t ultra runners looking young these days!”  Then she went on to say that while attending a Team GB training camp in Loughborough a “few” years ago the young track and field athletes were curious about who the "old people" were, the youngsters were informed “That’s the Ultra Squad!”  


I set my wee table up at the Carnegie tent then went to register, it was lovely to see pals I haven’t seen in ages! Are hugs allowed yet? I refrained from hugging, except for Ruth, it’s not a Scottish Ultra unless you're enveloped in a Ruth hug, it was wonderful! 

Adrian gave a briefing and the 50km runners were lined up on the left side of start/finish line, the path was coned down the middle for around quarter of a mile to the floodgates, we were to stay on the left hand side until we merged into the race with the 100km runners just like joining a motorway, I think I’ll keep well left, I won’t be getting up to their speed!


I’d lost count of what lap I was on by around the third lap, never mind, it was just a perfect day, the sun was shining, it wasn’t windy and a sheer joy running with buddies I haven’t seen for a long time. Also the beauty of a looped course is that you get run with the fast folk, usually I only see them on the start line and then they’re off, never to be seen again. 

Pauline's photo
Many of the elite runners were wearing the super-duper bouncy shwanks (more YHRF terminology). A thought made me smile. “Why do these flying shoes sound like John Deere tractors?” I don't mean to knock their zoomy shoes, and going by the amount of times I was lapped there must be something in their hype, that and the runners natural ability and a shedload of dedicated training! The bonus of hearing them approaching from a good way off was I was able to move to my left in plenty time to let them go by on the inside, apart from Jo, she’d didn’t hoof past sounding like a galloping carthorse but I knew she was approaching by her cheery shouts of encouragement, also Martin B’s whoop whoops signalled he would be whooshing by.


I took my camera round a couple of laps and Pauline snapped away for the rest of the day.  
I was revelling in just being here, just running and enjoying the company I was keeping. 


I felt quite comfortable and glanced at my watch, it suggested I was going faster than I had expected. I put that down to the excitement of being where I was, I didn’t worry, I would settle down to my usual happy plodding pace soon.  As the miles ticked over I was quite surprised that I didn’t slow down, I didn’t feel like I was pushing the pace, I was just cruising comfortably, so be it, I always run to feel, not the watch. At around 21 miles I felt my legs were locked into their stride and cadence and I now needed to put in a bit of effort to maintain but I was being sucked along in the slipstream of awesomeness and the words of camaraderie exchanged, it wasn’t hard. 
Photo from Steve Adams
photo from Steve Adam
The support around the Inches was fantastic from everyone involved with the race, fellow runners just here to watch and passers-by just out for fresh air.


One old boy reminded me of Captain Tom, leaning on his wheeled walking aid near the Bell’s Sports Centre, his voice was a bit frail so I never caught what he was saying but with a wave and a nod he was encouraging, I smiled and waved back every lap I saw him, it touched my heart that he must have stood there cheering us on for around an hour. 

After another couple of miles I felt that the remaining 8 miles was going to be a big effort, I know what will make it easier!  I’ll work out what lap I’m on and count down laps, there’s less of them! I’m rubbish at arithmetic while running and by the time I’d sussed it I had just under 5 laps to go, that sounds better! 

The wind picked up, it was strong enough to blow the cones over from the Memorial along to the end of the lap, at least it was hitting us sideways, the incentive not to slow down was even greater now the weather was deteriorating, rain was threatening and I’m not a fan of being wet and cold. I increased my work rate and continued to count down the laps.  I approached  the lap counters for what I hoped was the end of my penultimate lap, I raised a finger asking “Have I one more lap?”  No one could answer me but as I went through the inflated arch, Ken didn’t look up from tapping on his phone and quietly said “One more lap!”  Yaay! What a relief! I threw Pauline my bottle belt, put my elbows into gear, breathed deep and pushed the last lap finishing in 5.06.13 hours. 

I was really pleased with that! I expected to finish under six hours but hopefully closer to around five and half. While I’m talking stats, my first 50km was the Speyside Way 50km organised by Don Ritchie in 1999. Not all cherished running mementos are blingy medals. 


Since then I’ve done eighteen 50km races, ten of them on hilly trails where you can’t really compare times. Of the eight road races they’ve all been on a lapped course, six at Glenrothes and two at Perth, with my times ranging from 5.23.43 in 2001 to my PB of 4.31.57 in 2003 and the rest either just before or just after five hours. So although I’ve never had a great turn of speed I’ve had over twenty years of consistent 50km running, I’m calling that a win!  After finishing on Sunday Martin H. said “I hope I’m still running like that when I’m as old as you!” It was meant as a sincere compliment and I’ll take it that way!  But steady on young lad, I’m not that old, I don’t get my bus pass ‘til August!  

And finally a huge thank you to Adrian and everyone helping him put on such a fantastic event. There’s a lot of hard graft to bring it together, making sure the elite had the chance to perform at  their best, and us lesser mortals got to go home buzzing from rubbing shoulders with them. I know quite a few runners don’t fancy running a lapped race, but I urge you just to go for it, you will love it!




2 comments:

John Cassidy said...

A brilliant write up Fiona, thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Awesomeness indeed ❤️

Robert Turner said...

Well done Fiona and a great write up. It is such a pleasure and honour to be sharing the roads and paths (and trails) with such a legend of the sport.