Sunday 11 September 2022

Glenmore 24 2022

The year has been ticking along nicely, it’s been lovely getting back to normality, running and marshalling at races, training has been fine too, At the beginning of August I entered a new age category, picked up my bus pass, and a birthday t-shirt with the slogan “Assuming I’m just an old lady was your first mistake!”  Hell, yeah! Of course I’ll be targeting 100 miles at Glenmore.  I’ve even managed to dodge Covid since the start of the pandemic… Harumph!  No such luck! Pete brought it home and generously shared it with me three weeks before the race. Thankfully, we are fully vaccinated and weren't hit too hard. I had two to three days feeling shivery and flu-like then another week or so feeling more like I had  a horrible cold and headache. The weekend before the race I was feeling more like my old self but waited until Monday to go for a wee run, both lungs and legs felt fine, a wee boost to my confidence I’ll be able to run with my target duly adjusted, minimum distance would be to, at least, make it to an ultra, my real target was 52 miles, 13 laps, that would round up my total Glenmore miles to 1000, I’ve been running Glenmore every year since it started in 2011, if I got further than the 52, that would be a bonus. It was suggested to me to consider dropping down to the 12 hour race but I didn’t want  the pressure of making the 52 miles in that time, I’d rather have plenty of time to stroll if necessary. 


More bad news, Pauline had Covid, two weeks away from the race, (thankfully not from me, I never would’ve heard the end of it if it was! Actually, Pauline was blaming Bill for her not being able to come, he’d given her number 13!) She was hit harder than me and although hoping to make a miraculous recovery, it wasn’t happening so I’d be heading up to Glenmore on Friday afternoon on my own. We’d bought a shelter that I’m able to put up myself, but I wasn’t concerned if I needed help, this is Glenmore and it was offered as soon as I started getting myself organised, and my neighbours gave a wee help pulling a tarpaulin over the top to make a canopy to protect the mesh door from the rain that was forecast for during the race.

With having it all to myself there was plenty of room to put up my pop-up tent in the back for Friday night and take it down Saturday morning, as much as I wasn’t planning any great distance I wasn’t planning on stopping either.  Ally popped by for a wee blether, he was on his own tonight too, Donna and Lewis were coming along in the morning with Donna running her first ultra. 


I was a bit of a party-pooper and didn’t have any Minions stuff for the fancy dress party this year, but there were plenty that did, what a giggle Friday night was and just what I needed. 

Photo from Bill Heirs 

I slept as well as could be expected in a wee tent, in a shelter with a rattling tarpaulin on top, it was a bit windy through the night, but it was all pegged down well and stayed put, other gazebos weren’t so lucky. I had a chilled morning getting ready, Val and Gillian arrived mid morning to do support, they were meant to be looking after Pauline and me but I would have their undivided attention all to myself, shame I wasn’t going to be a demanding diva this year!  Val gave me a talking to about being careful and I have other races ahead and once I got the 13 laps I could stop if needed.  I nodded affirmatively saying I wouldn’t be daft, but in my head I was thinking “Aye. Right. I’ve never stopped in a race yet!”  In my defence, I’ve kinda got the gist on how my body hold up, I’ve now had it for 60 years and have been running with it for 36 years,  my first marathon was 30 years ago and my first ultra 25 years ago and this was my 92nd ultra, I have honed my energy management skills to a gold medal standard and with no huge goal other than having fun I doubted I would do myself any serious or lasting damage post covid.  


11.30am Bill and Sean gave the briefing, then a last minute visit to the loo, a photo then I stood at the back of the pack ready to go.

Woooohooo! I’m back on the wonderful 4 mile loop that is Glenmore 24, chatting with those around me and spotting my favourite trees, pretty bits and wee points where I’d normally transition from running and walking that I haven’t seen since last year, the heather wasn’t as vibrant as it has been in the past, I suppose because it has been so dry. Oopsies! Take it easy my arse, my first lap split was on a par with every other Glenmore first lap, but I was just excited to be back and scampered round like a puppy that’s discovered the gate was open or even like Pauline’s wee white dug, Glen. 

On my second lap I did try to slow down, although it wasn’t by much, near the end of it my legs were talking to me. “Oi, you, we’ve no’ run for three weeks and there’s a valid reason why, ca’ canny!” So on the third lap I picked up my camera, paused to take photos and eased into a gentler pace, just being here was a privilege and I’m lucky to have made the start, so I settled into a groove that was a bit more relaxed than my usual Glenmore effort.  



At the end of my sixth lap just after 6.00pm I did something I have never done in a 24 hour race before, I sat down for over 20 minutes to eat a Mugshot Mac n Cheese. With having a full tummy I set off to walk a whole lap, except when I got to the down hill I did pick it up to a shuffle. I think this might’ve been the lap I had a lovely blether with Helen, it’s grand when your pace coincides with someone for a wee while, there’s something special about the candid, from the heart chats of being side by side during the magic of Glenmore loops regardless of what distance you’re aiming for, I was quite lucky to have a few pals who’s pace ebbed and flowed to match mine for nice stretches of the loop, Jodie and Mairi had my wittering company for a good bit and even those that galloped by always had a cheery word. 

A lap of so later when I went past the party gazebo Noanie said Yan’s soup was there if I wanted, and just to bring my mug over, so next lap I left my mug saying I’ll pick it up next time round, just over an hour or so later when I entered the Hayfield Noanie was standing at the start of the loop with my mug. Oh Yanny, that was wonderful soup and brought back memories from years ago when we’d all descend on Mum on a Saturday, Pauline and I would go for a long run and Erin would help her Grandma make a huge pot of soup with everything in it. No-one can ever make soup like your own Mum, this was the closest I’ve ever had since those days. Thank you x 

Yan's soup in progress 
Although I’d settled into a nice easy pace for the loop I was still finding it a novelty to stand and wait with patience, deciding what food or drink to have, while Val and Gillian handed me what I had chosen, in previous years I’d leave instructions for what I’d want next time round and if it wasn’t ready when I arrived I’d flounce off with a petulant “I’ll get it next time!” which on a 4 mile loop is not wise, and not for the first time my support had to hoof up to the top of the hill at the end of the Hayfield with what I was wanting. No diva dramatics this year, I was very well behaved. 


I picked up my head-torch and was hoping for a beautiful sunset on Loch Morlich but it wasn’t to be, just a wee hint of pink as the sky slowly turned black With no inclining of any natural light at all, just heavy clouds, the stars were not up for their usual spectacular light show, but I suppose that makes them all the more special when they do.


Not to worry, I was still moving forward and had given myself permission that I didn’t have to run at all in the dark, just keep a good march, I’d picked up my iPod for the dark hours and it was playing my Run Forever playlist, just in one ear, I’m not anti-social. The loop was a lot quieter after the 12 hour race finished, but I was still tootling on.  It was at the back of 2.00am, I was on my 13th lap, happy to be still moving well and within myself, singing along to my tunes. John and Donald were on their shift at the halfway water station and John commented that I was a happy wee soul and I replied that this was my 1000 mile lap. “Well that deserves a wee celebration! Do you have a cup?” He asked. I didn’t have one on the table because I just carried a wee bottle every lap. Luckily this lap my wee bottle has Active Root in it, John added a generous Bunnahabhain, I’m calling this cocktail the Glenmore Whisky Mac. I took my time with it, savouring every mouthful with a smile. 

Photo from John Munro 
Once I was back round in the Hayfield I celebrated with another wee sit down and dunked a roll in a cup of soup before strolling out back on the loop, still smiling, although aware that after reaching my goal, a high is usually followed by a low and expected a wee slump, but it never really happened, I wasn’t falling asleep on my feet and my stomach wasn’t rebelling,  I just felt a bit weary but that is perfectly normal for 4.00am in a 24 hour race. I wasn’t expecting any weird visions either but I thought I saw someone standing still at the side of the path,were my eyes playing tricks? Then they turned round, it was the Grim Reaper! “Ha ha ha, Hiya Donald!” 


I’m not sure when the rain became heavy, it was dark, I put my big jacket on, it wasn’t cold but I like to be dry and cosy, I eventually pulled on my waterproof cut-off breeks when the rain fluctuated between torrential and pishin’ doon, they’re not the bonniest of running apparel but extremely functional, I can pull them on and off without a faff and they keep my quads dry and warm. Big puddles were forming on the route, I was dodging around them but my feet were wet, I could feel a couple of blisters forming on the edge of my heels, probably from doing more walking than I’m used to. Although I didn’t say it out loud I now wondered if I would reach 70 miles,  I was watching for the sky to show signs of the dawn, and when it did, the clouds showed no sign of lifting, even though the rain did ease from time to time. I had one more sit down to eat a pot of porridge. 


Time was now marching as well as I was, I wondered how many more big loops I’ll do. I was happy to slow down, my target reached with a fairly big bonus. It was just a matter of timing it nicely for a few wee laps, I didn’t want to finish a big loop before 11.00am  and have to wait for the wee laps to open and as much as they’re great fun I didn’t want to do a full hour on them, that hill is a nasty climb and a steeper descent. Well done to anyone that manages 4 miles on it, it’s tough going. I eased right back to practically a stroll, completing 18 laps, one more big loop will do. I was standing with Val and Gillian in the Hayfield, it was nearly 9.30am, I realised that even at a very gentle stroll, I’d still have a full hour on the wee laps, serious discussion ensued. Would I have time for two more big loops? Val’s answer was decisive. “Yes, but you’ll have to pick it up!”  I’ve just walked since it was dark, would I manage to run again? Fuck it! Let’s go! 


Once out of Hayfield and down the narrow path, round the right turn, I attempted a wee shuffle, Yay! My legs felt mildly spritely and even better, the blisters on my heels preferred a different gait with less of a heel strike. I pushed a decent effort, and with that effort I was roasting with my big jacket on, although it was still raining, my sleeves were pushed up and my hood down, I was smiling that I was giving it laldy at last!  I was back round to the Hayfield in an hour, I dropped my waterproof breeks, kicked them off, and threw them and my jacket at Val and Gillian, swapped my water bottle and was off on my final lap. I maintained the effort I started an hour ago although I didn’t have to panic, I wouldn’t be skidding into the Hayfield with seconds to spare, I just breathed deep and waved cheerio to my favourite bits. 


I was back in the Hayfield with half an hour to go, of course I kept the momentum going! I was warned about the slippy wet grass on the hill but the safest way to come down a steep, wet, grassy hill in road shoes is to keep up with gravity, if you put the brakes on you’re guaranteed to slide on your arse. Bill was on the hill shouting “Slow down ya nutter!” But where’s the fun in that?

photo from Donna Wallace
One wee ouchy, the blister along the edge of my right heel exploded when I was keeping up with gravity, minor detail, I was nearly finished. I tried to keep the momentum of the speed I’d pick up on the descent for as long as possible before having to put my hands on my thighs and stomp up the hill, shout my number to Brian and wheeeee down the hill again, I’d check my watch, do another lap, check my watch, think my watch was broken, I was working hard but knew I’d be stopping soon. The support round the wee loop is second to none, you have to give your best. The hooter sounded and I stopped. Ooyah beastie! 82.75 miles! No way did I ever think I’d manage that a week post covid.

photo from Gillian
It’s now a week after the race and I’m still resting, I don’t feel overly fatigued, my heels are still tender, I promised Sean I would rest and I still am, covid has devastated so many lives. I’m happy not to run for a few weeks to make sure I’m not left with any lasting damage.  


The race team was also hit by covid making harder work and longer shifts for the marshals there, but from a runner’s point of view, there was nothing amiss. Bill and team you were marvellous, thank you all so much, Val and Gillian, thank you both again for supporting me once more, and to everyone there, whether running or supporting, you are all part of the magic that happens at Glenmore, it has been privilege to run many more laps and an honour to be the first to reach 1000 miles, I doubt I’ll be the last.  


Here’s my Glenmore statistics, 

A grand total of 1031.41 miles, 252 laps and 21.41 miles on the wee lap.  


2011  108 miles, there were no wee laps for the first year 

2012  109.01 miles, 1st Female

2013  25.45 miles, a 6 hour special just for me post cancer treatment

2014  89.56 miles 

2015  107.35 miles

2016  103.26 miles

2017  102.04 miles 

2018  102.61 miles

2019  103.36 miles 

2021  98.02 miles

2022  82.75 miles 
























No comments: