After this year’s West Highland Way Race I was happy to have a little relax and glide through recovery to taper with no purposeful training, and with the devastating wildfires there was no guarantee that Glenmore 24 was going ahead. But with around three weeks before the race Bill confirmed the race was on, so I took myself off for an eighteen miler and said that’ll do for training then. The past few years we’ve had a holiday house in Aviemore for a long weekend with Ken, Sue, Val and Allan who would swap out shifts between looking after Pauline, Sue and myself, so nobody was supporting for the whole race. This year with other life stuff going on, it was just going to be Pauline coming with me but she would take a break through the night, so at least one of us wasn’t too gaga on Sunday morning. After knowing the race was going ahead I quickly booked a room for us in the Premier Inn for Sunday night, we decided just to stay on the Hayfield for Friday evening with a small tent behind our shelter for Pauline where she could get a wee sleep on Saturday night and I used a pop-up tent inside the shelter and was just going to pop it back into its wee bag in the morning, as I had no intention of having a break during the race. My race plan had no monster miles targeted, I was just going to keep moving comfortably and enjoy it. I would be really pleased if my final distance started with a nine. But I wasn’t going to bust a gut and if I finished with eighty something that would be great too.
Pauline and I had a good run up the A9 and arrived at the Hayfield around 3.30pm, we just chatted until we were allowed to pitch our shelter at 4pm, but that was when the wind decided to whip up, and with a bit of help from our neighbours, I didn’t do a Mary Poppins hanging on to a corner as pegs were battered into the ground. We were a cosy wee nylon shanty town, crossing guy ropes and huddling like penguins, hoping we’d survive whatever the weather threw our way.
Fancy dress this year was superheroes and cartoon characters, and since Ken and Sue weren’t coming I asked if we could borrow their Superman onesies they’d worn the last time that was the theme. Luckily they weren’t planning to wear them over the weekend so they were happy to lend them to us. After a couple of beers we headed to our tents while the party carried on. 
photo credit - Bill Heirs
In the morning, the first task was to fold away my pop-up tent, although I had done it myself years ago, I couldn’t remember the combinations of twists to make it fit the bag, after a few attempts to wrestle it into submission, Pauline solved the problem by hurling it out the shelter, over the rope onto the course! Dusting her hands shouting “Done!” Next, we heard Bill shouting “Oi! That’s a time penalty!" My reply was the default twinnie answer since we could speak, “It wiz her!” Eventually Davie managed to bully it into the bag. I spent the rest of the morning having two breakfasts and faffing with my stuff, the time went quickly before Bill did the race briefing and then time for a team photo before the noon start. Great to see a host of Harriers on the start line.
Once we were off I knew it will take around three of four laps before I settled into my groove but it was lovely to get reacquainted with the lumps and bumps of the first mile, the long wide path of the second mile, the climbs of the third and the descent of the fourth with the horrible wee steps back into the Hayfield.
![]() |
| photo credit - Colin Knox |
Some laps I had lovely wee blethers and others I was totally on my own with the forest all to myself, I enjoyed both. The weather seemed to be pretty perfect for running, some parts of the loop were sheltered and warm, other sections had a cool wee breeze but not too windy that I felt I was fighting against. The heather looks gorgeous with occasional sun dappling through the trees, every year, this is one of my favourite images as I climb the hill.
As the evening approached I picked up my yellow top and had some chicken soup. The sun going down was hidden in the grey sky, aw, no sunset over Loch Morlich this year, but I still smiled thinking of a special moment for me from 2013. The colours of the sunset that year with the lyrics of Runrig’s Heart of Olden Glory brought my emotion leaking from my eyes. I was back where I belonged, running with my ultra family in beautiful surroundings after cancer treatment. A very special memory.
The night draws in and I pick up my headtorch and MP3 player, I finally feel properly settled in and ready for the dark hours and cruise on. The rain started as a fine wee drizzle but soon moved to bouts of heavier showers, I put on my rain-jacket and cut-off waterproof breeks which easily slip on without having to faff with shoes, as I leaned forward to get them on I grabbed Pauline’s shoulder to help my balance. “OI! That’s my boob!” Oops, my mistake, in my defense she was now wearing what she calls her Andy Pandy suit, a puffy, cosy down filled onesie like a sleeping bag with legs, so pretty hard to distinguish body parts! With a wee wobble and a giggle I got my breeks pulled up.
At the back of 10pm Pauline headed off to her wee tent for a few hours rest and a wee sleep, but before she went she prepared a couple of small flasks ready for me to pick up when I went through, one with Broccoli and Stilton cup-a-soup and the other with Horlicks. Alan and Hazel were on the other side of Norrie’s wee tent and Alan kept an eye on me while Pauline rested. I tried both flasks, made a face and whinged they were both awfy watery. Alan said he would inform the chef when she got up. With a bit of hindsight, Pauline had said later that if I’d given the flasks a wee shake the sludge wouldn’t have settled at the bottom. Oh well, never mind, I’ll know next time, they may have been yummy given half a chance.
The night wore on, my gag reflex was on a hair trigger although I still managed to get stuff in, I wasn’t for fighting but I wouldn’t say I was struggling either, this is just what happens during the night of a 24 hour race, moving slowly always trumps staying still.
One lap was a real struggle though, I was falling asleep on my feet, I looked around to see if I could find a pal to chum along but there was no one around me “Where are you Lois?” I shouted out loud. A few years ago Lois caught up with me while I was doing the noddy dog thing and chatted me back to life. Once back round Pauline was back and made me a hot chocolate with coffee, I asked her the time, it was around 5am. Ah, that explains it then! I should perk up a bit soon, rough spell done and dusted!I now left it up to Pauline what I was going to eat next lap, I would usually have porridge but I really didn’t fancy it. So when I got back round I was handed a mug with a chicken and noodle cup-a-soup, I made the face of a petulant child being force-fed sprouts but I had a few spoonfuls and walked round the Hayfield eating it, Pauline was waiting at the top of the wee hill to take the mug back, I handed it over empty, saying “Ta-dah, I got it all in!” and hoped for a round of applause.
I was now using another old memory, going back to 2011. Every lap that year, I’d pick the big tree at the top of the steep climb on the right where it levelled out a smidge just before the drink station and I would run until it cranked up again. With a few hours still to go I was still running that short section, going past the table, one of the marshalls shouted “Fiona, you are the strongest runner here!” I remember thinking Wow! What a surprising thing to say. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of kidology and I would repeat her words to myself every time I was on the hill.
With a few hours to go I was looking towards the end and trying to work out how much time I would have on the wee loops, as much as they are great fun, more than half an hour on the wee loops isn’t great fun! But as long as I don’t go any slower or any faster I should have around half an hour, so I’ll just keep plodding on, I realise I will complete 22 laps, 88 miles so if I don’t ease off I might squeeze a couple of miles on the wee laps and finish with 90 miles. That will do! I keep a good steady pace and lovely to see a few folk back out on the loop after having a break through the night. I finished my final big lap with 40 minutes to go. I ditch my race vest with Pauline and have a few mouthfuls of water, I don’t need anything now except my elbows to push the effort as I wind it up and push every step round and round, I have no fear coming down that wee steep grassy hill,
![]() |
| photo credit - Leroy Wilson |
![]() |
| photo credit - Colin Knox |
Of course I’m on the hill when the hooter signals the finish. I poke my peg into the ground and resist lying down. It would be a struggle to get back up. I walk on up and collect my wee cool box and back down the hill back to our shelter. I have a few moments sitting with a mug of tea, and gradually move about a bit helping a smidge to get packed up. Jane and Donald were a great help getting us sorted and we/they got a good bit tidied before the prize giving.
![]() |
| photo credit - Colin Knox |
What I love about a 24 hour race is the flexibility, everyone can set their own target, and the highlight for me was seeing Heather, having never gone beyond 10km in a race before achieving an ultra with 30.22 miles and what beautiful surroundings to do it in.
I finished with 90.89 miles, ooft, if I could've made it to the top of the hill I would’ve clocked 91 miles, but I smile and know I pushed the wee loops as hard as I could to the best of my ability, no regrets from me.
Another magic weekend thanks to Bill and every Rocketeer giving their time willingly allowing every runner the chance to do their best. Whether goals were missed, met or surpassed I hope everyone has a memory to cherish. Thank you all.
I’ve now covered 1372.73 miles at Glenmore24 with 334 big laps and over a hundred wee laps reaching 32.73 miles! A flaming ultra on that nutsy wee circuit!
Here’s my stats on how I got there.
2011 108 miles, there were no wee laps for the first year
2012 109.01 miles, 1st Female
2013 25.45 miles, a 6 hour special just for me post mouth cancer treatment
2014 89.56 miles
2015 107.35 miles
2016 103.26 miles
2017 102.04 miles
2018 102.61 miles
2019 103.36 miles
2020 no race due to Covid
2021 98.02 miles
2022 82.75 miles, 5 days post covid infection
2023 95.05 miles
2024 95.38 miles
2025 60.00 miles, race stopped for safety
2026 90.89 miles





No comments:
Post a Comment